Search syntax, boolean OR possible?

After reading the wiki I cannot figure out a way to do boolean OR searches (perhaps it isn’t possible without a search plugin?); Essentially I’d like to search for

this or that

but entering

this that

Seems to find both words only. Is this possible?

this | this

will do it

Does that only work on Postgres? Because I’m running MySQL (ugh, I know). :sob:

Edit: And I have tried that syntax, which doesn’t work, at least on my install: v20.03-641b90ac5

I can confirm this does not work on MySQL (MariaDB).

I use postgres and have for a few years. I use this and it has seemed to work just fine

it appears that boolean operators “or” and “and”, ie | and & respectively, are only supported as a special case for postgresql using its text search, ie @@ operator and to_tsquery function. see postgresql. org /docs/11/functions-textsearch.html.

git.tt-rss. org /fox/tt-rss/src/afaac95d8d3891614b312cd1eb7e992a53cd2b5f/classes/feeds.php#L2328-L2340.

that syntax also seems to be supported for sphinx, but that requires the sphinx plugin to be enabled and configured. see sphinxsearch. com /docs/manual-2.3.2.html#boolean-syntax.

blame “Sorry, you can’t include links in your posts.”

thanks for digging into this, i didn’t even remember this was supported for postgres.

to me this is pretty important functionality. hard to create effective filters without this. otherwise you are having to do match any and then have one rule per word. very akward to set up and manage. and, another reason why fox’s recommendation of postgres should be heeded by all who have a choice…

this is about search though, filters just use regular expressions?