[Feature Request - Web] Middle click (open article in new tab) marks article as read

I’m not sure if this would be easy to implement, but I migrated to TTRSS from Inoreader and this was a nice feature they had.

When scrolling through a feed, I often middle-click articles to open them in new tabs in the background. By default, TTRSS leaves them as unread, but it would be nice to have an option (or default to) marking them as read since they’ve technically been opened.

You can right-click and from the contextual menu select Open original article. This opens the article and marks it as read.

(I am aware that it won’t open an article in the background and that it is two-clicks versus one.)

Thanks - this is at least a start, and is fewer clicks than middle clicking and then having to separately mark as read, so I’ll consider it a semi-solution for the time being.

this makes some amount of sense, I think currently middle click is handled directly by the browser which is why stuff is not marked as read

I’ll try to take a look at this tomorrow

e: there’s a difference being cheeky and behaving like an ape, op. smh.

bad news:

1. middle clicking on a link element seems to be always handled by the browser directly.
  2. there’s no guaranteed way to open anything in the background using javascript which is why it was implemented like this in the first place

i’m afraid you’ll just have to deal with it, suspended poster @sharkeyshark.

I don’t feel like searching right now, but I feel like this exact conversation was had a year or two back. I think the “solution” was that it would behave as expected if you ctrl-click the headline with a specific plugin enabled (hl_legacy maybe?)

edit: Moving to more traditional headline controls - Development - Tiny Tiny RSS: Community

this thread should probably be added to faq or we’ll keep repeating this forever, although i’m not sure how the entry should be phrased