Feature request: prefer `<dc:creator>` where possible

• [x] I’m using stock docker compose setup, unmodified.
  • [ ] I’m using docker compose setup, with modifications (modified .yml files, third party plugins/themes, etc.) - if so, describe your modifications in your post. Before reporting, see if your issue can be reproduced on the unmodified setup.
  • [ ] I’m not using docker on my primary instance, but my issue can be reproduced on the aforementioned docker setup and/or official demo.

• Tiny Tiny RSS version (including git commit id): v24.02-fc95c988
  • Platform (i.e. Linux distro, Docker, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions: Debian 12 LXC with system Docker and latest images

I would like to see Tiny Tiny RSS gain support for the <dc:creator> field in RSS feeds (see the spec page). This field allows posts to have an author specified without using the needlessly verbose [email protected] (My Name) format required by the <author> field. I would propose preferring <dc:creator> when it is available and falling back to <author> when it is not.

I may have a go at implementing this myself, but I don’t really have experience with PHP, so somebody else may fix this in a fraction of the time it would take me to fumble around finding how to fix it :slight_smile:

it is already supported but the code is shared between atom and rss and author is preferred.

https://gitlab.tt-rss.org/tt-rss/tt-rss/-/blob/master/classes/FeedItem_Common.php?ref_type=heads#L32

no i’m not going to suddenly switch them around because you feel its “needlessly verbose” or whatever.

OK, thanks for clarifying that.

Even if you won’t switch to <dc:creator> by default, would it be possible to add code to remove the email address from the author field if it’s formatted as [email protected] (My Name)? Otherwise the author field takes up a large amount of space (see below). Also, in general it makes more sense to associate the author with an actual name instead of an email address that has the name added almost as an afterthought.

(Yes, that is a longer email than is often usual, but I think it gets the point across.)

I would be willing to try implementing this myself if you don’t want to spend the time on this.

you can make a plugin (PluginHost::HOOK_FEED_FETCHED or maybe PluginHost::HOOK_FEED_PARSED) which would do whatever you want with feed content to satisfy your OCD.