What's the extreme limit of Subscribing feeds?

I was just wondering how many feeds you can subscribe to on TT-RSS without crashing the database something. I am running this on a Raspberry Pi2 Model B, so I was wondering what’s my limit here that I may not end up burning the Pi.

I am running around so far 300 feeds in 2 accounts and every day it is gathering around 2-3K threads. Is my database going to be super heavy in a year?

When should I disable updating feeds and if Raspberry pi would be enough after a few months or a year?

How many feeds you’re subscribed to with how much data in how much time? What hardware you guys are using?

The questions you’re asking simply cannot be answered specifically because it really depends on a variety of factors.

The requirements for TT-RSS are a dedicated or virtual dedicated server, and for good reason as TT-RSS can be fairly intensive. There’s a lot of information going into the database and an ill-equipped machine (like a Pi) will choke eventually. PostreSQL will perform substantially better than MySQL/MariaDB.

How frequently you purge articles will also factor in because some people (for whatever reason) never remove old articles or remove them after a year. Obviously this keeps the database larger.

I would be incredibly surprised if your Raspberry Pi were able to handle this setup after a few months. If you’re using a cheap SD card fpr stprage you should also expect it to fail as well as the write cycles on that storage medium are typically less than conventional drives.

I would like to point out that in the last few years prices for VDSs/VPSs have dropped dramatically. You can get a reasonably spec’d virtual machine for just a few dollars a month. In addition to having a more powerful CPU, you will also get a good amount of RAM, a fast SSD that’s probably configured in a RAID, support personnel to keep the hardware running, greater bandwidth, greater traffic.

Yes I am using PostreSQL only. When I am monitoring via htop, CPU is not crossing 50 much at present. SD Card I am using is Samsung EVO so it’s one of the best and fastest in the market.

And yes I don’t plan to purge data even within an year, hence I needed to know when I need to stop.

Yes, I know VPS is an option but since the Pi was lying around doing nothing, I thought to use this first. I believe it’s hardware is equivalent or maybe better than a 5$ VPS of DO.

If required in future, maybe within an year, I would buy a CPU box with Linux to run this then.

I’ve also setup a cron which backs up files and database of TT-RSS to dropbox daily.

Here’s mine: the cheapest DigitalOcean VPS, 820 feeds, 65,000 unread articles at any given moment, default update and purging intervals. Runs just fine.

believe me you’ll know.

Please tell me when than to create a puzzle. I don’t want to lose my data.

not sure what kind of answer you were expecting. an exact number of feeds? when your toy server grinds to a halt then it would be time to stop.

take regular backups.

You asked that already and it was answered:

Not sure what else you’re looking for. If people here could see the future we’d be spending a lot less time here.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

imagine the sheer amount of iops that sd card provides.just imagine it (and weep).

good luck op

You could have said nicely to upgrade the hardware. I do take your advice seriously, that’s why I asked the question. You don’t have to be hard on replies.

You must be new here. :open_mouth:

I have reduced update interval for most feeds to once a day which doesn’t update frequently. And yes I do want to save the cost from buying a VPS. I’ve a windows laptop running 24x7 with a SSD and I might move it there soon and make it run using XAMPP. I just wanted to know if I really need to do that. Now I know clearly I do.

that won’t really help, also you’re be likely to miss articles though which defeats the point of using tt-rss in the first place.

instead, try to keep less stuff in the database overall, i.e. use purging at default settings.

i don’t think laptops are designed for server workloads and being turned on 24x7.

seriolsly, just get a VPS. or an old desktop PC to use as one / an old server off your local used goods marketplace (e.g. ebay).

May I add to that, that I don’t get why there is not more account sharing here. I run a VPS just for TT-RSS - so will probably do most. It will be sufficient for a couple more users. Would not mind helping out someone else not wanting to administer an own instace. Also might not mind to pay a couple bucks to someone else administering the server and give up my own instance.

I’m running it on my router now for two years. Works fine. Have about a few hundreds of feeds. I do purge articles.

Well I’ll be upgrading. I am running 700+ feeds on it now and while it’s not alarming for me running it on Pi at present, I am looking out for an old CPU to run it. It’s just that I need the CPU size to be of smallest size possible because of no space and these aren’t easy to find. I am assuming that a CPU with i3 processor should be enough with around 2 GB RAM. No?

You could try the intel nuc platform. Those are small.

For running a huge database, you should have more than 2GB Ram. Nearly any CPU should be enough, but get decent amount of Ram and at least some reliable hard drive (better SSD).

No problem in increasing RAM. Rather than NUC, I have something like this in mind to buy - Refurbished Laptops

I just don’t understand why you’d want to outright buy that when you can rent a VPS for US$5/month. After you factor in electric costs for keeping this machine on 24/7/365 your return-on-investment is over 36 months, and that doesn’t even consider the redundency you get with VPS (RAIDed drives, replacement of failed drives, DOS protection, more reliable Internet connection, redundent power, etc.).

Your choice, of course, but it’s odd.

e: And of course you can use a VPS for other things, too… like VPNs, serving large files you don’t want to send over email, etc.