Tiny Tiny RSS: Community

Unable to subscribe to gocomics feeds (af_comics plugin)

Problem:
I am not able to subscribe to gocomics feeds anymore. Subscribing to any gocomics feed results in the following error message:
“Specified URL doesn’t seem to contain any feeds.”

Existing gocomics feeds still update normally — just subscribing to a new feed does not work.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Click “Subscribe to feed”
  2. Enter URL (e.g.) http://www.gocomics.com/fredbasset (but happens with every gocomics comic URL I have tried)
  3. ⇒ Error message above

tt-rss version (including git commit id):
Tiny Tiny RSS v17.12 (c30f5e1)

Platform (i.e. Linux distro, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions:

• Kubuntu 17.10 (artful aardvark, 4.13.0-21-generic #24-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 18 17:29:16 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
  • PHP: 7.1.11-0ubuntu0.17.10.1 (cli) (built: Nov 1 2017 16:30:52) ( NTS )
  • PostgreSQL 9.5.6 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

Additional information below:
This used to work until one or two updates ago, unfortunately I can’t tell exactly which was the last good version this was working with, but not longer than 2-3 months ago.

I’ve notice this issue too. Try this: https://feeds.feedburner.com/uclick/fredbasset

These feedburner feed URLs do not work for all gocomics feeds — I guess that’s why the af_comics plugin supports the gocomics “home url” directly. Or at least it used to …

But this is a workaround — I can create the feed subscription by using the feedburner URL and then do an edit feed and change it over to the gocomics URL.

I’m going to guess (because I’m not looking at the code right now) that the subscribe function checks the content-type returned by the site and if it’s not XML doesn’t accept it as a feed (which is the correct action).

Unfortunately I don’t think this one site warrants re-working the code, but the feedburner workaround @Michael_Armbrecht mentioned seems fine. Truth be told any feed could be used and then changed.

If I have time and am bored one night I might take a look.

Keep in mind the plugin still allows legacy feedburner URLs for GoComics and that’s not likely to change anytime soon.

Looks like fox already has a hook for subscribing so this should be easy enough to fix. I’ll put it on my mental to do list, or someone else can also put together a pull request.

I have submitted a pull request to fix this issue.