TT-RSS broken after PHP update to version 7.2 (Arch Linux)

After updating PHP to version 7.2 (on Arch Linux) I’ve got the following error message:

Startup failed
Tiny Tiny RSS was unable to start properly. This usually means a misconfiguration or an incomplete upgrade. Please fix errors indicated by the following messages:

FEED_CRYPT_KEY requires mcrypt functions which are not found.

You might want to check tt-rss wiki or the forums for more information. Please search the forums before creating new topic for your question.

PHP says:

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: mcrypt: Unable to initialize module

Does anyone has similar issues and know how to solve it?

Thanks for your help

It’d be helpful to state which version you were upgrading from.

Based on the nice error message, maybe check whether mcrypt for php7 is installed ?

http://php.net/manual/en/mcrypt.installation.php

mcrypt is deprecated in PHP 7.1 and removed in 7.2.

From the command line in your TT-RSS installation’s directory run:

php update.php --decrypt-feeds

Then update config.php to set the constant FEED_CRYPT_KEY to an empty string.

e: Updated thread title to clarify this is PHP 7.2 for others searching in the future.

I don’t believe that I write something like this to an Apple user, but thank you. :smiley:

It works again :slight_smile:

Any idea how to resolve this issue when running the command?

$ php update.php --decrypt-feeds
[10:36:52/30433] Lock: update.lock
[10:36:52/30433] processing feed id 1129
[10:36:52/30433] processing feed id 557
PHP Fatal error:  Query  failed: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe6 0xfc 0x6b in <snip>/classes/db/pgsql.php on line 48

the database is set to UTF8:

server_encoding 
-----------------
 UTF8

Thanks

do you even have any legit passwords setup for feeds (that are using http authentication)? if not just set crypt key to blank and forget about it, worst case scenario you’ll have to enter your credentials again in the feed editor

also i’m reasonably certain that current master uses PDO for this so you are using some arch-packed code which nobody here is responsible for.

e: mcrypt thing should probably be added to faq since people still can’t figure out searching the forum

Nope, no feeds that actually need passwords. I’ve just updated to the latest version, and tried it again out of curiosity, and get the below error, after a long list of “processing feed id”'s:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught PDOException: There is no active transaction in <path>/update.php:450
Stack trace:
#0 <path>/update.php(450): PDO->commit()
#1 {main}
  thrown in <path>/update.php on line 450

I’ll blank out the crypt key as suggested.

Thanks

https://git.tt-rss.org/git/tt-rss/wiki/FAQ#i-have-upgraded-php-to-72-and-now-tt-rss-complains-about-mcrypt

faq entry

e: re ^: some feed processing had failed. if you can fish out actual SQL error in tt-rss system logs post it here, it might be helpful. should be somewhere before the failed PDO commit.

there are several E_WARNING (2)'s that mention:

update.php:445 PDOStatement::execute(): SQLSTATE[22021]: Character not in repertoire: 7 ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x89

with the utf8 codes being different for each error message, then at the top there is one E_ERROR (1):

update.php:450 Uncaught PDOException: There is no active transaction in <path>/update.php:450 Stack trace: #0 <path>/update.php(450): PDO->commit() #1 {main} thrown

this is probably related to your unicode problems above. not sure about this, there are known unicode-related issues on mysql (because mysql) but i never ran into any troubles on postgresql.

I got the same UTF8 related errors with PostgreSQL 9.6.9 and php 5.6.36 on FreeBSD 10.2. I use latest git version.

why post this in a 6 month old php 7.2 thread? also providing zero relevant new information, basically a me too post.

gonna give you some time to figure out the whole posting thing.

I’ve the same issue but I’m unable to run this command cuz I’m using a shared host:

• TT-RSS 17.12
  • Cron command: /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/bin/php /home/xxxxxx/public_html/tinyrss/update.php --feeds --quiet
  • PHP 7.2.11
  • Apache 2.4.37
  • MySQL 10.1.36-MariaDB-cll-lve

TT-RSS was working fine but suddenly this issue occurred :frowning:

BTW, My mobile application works fine huhuhuhu so I currently use mobile app to get recent feeds updates.

6 months probation for incoherent shitposting
consider not coming back