Trouble to : create table ttrss_error_log - Cannot add foreign key constraint

WTF did I just read?

As an old MySQL user who found bugs, asked questions, got given advise (move to postgresql, import OPML) and actually followed it! I cannot agree more.

I’d just like to point out, that my 2nd suggestion was to Export OPML and import into a new setup.

Working years in tech support has taught me many things, one that applies here is: Don’t repair a broken system when rebuilding is quicker, results in minimal to no loss of data, and gives you a known good system state

So restore from backup, export OPML, setup new TTRSS install with latest Git and import. Voila!, working TTRSS and no database wierdness which could come back and bite you in the ass in 2 years. (also don’t forget the likelihood you’ll actually forget it even happened and come back and complain).

Obviously OPs choice with how they deal with it, I don’t like it, but doesn’t mean I have to support it (unlike at my job).

Not defending OP in the slightest (and I agree mysql is … just terrible and should not be supported) I do have to object to “no loss of data”. Unless I’m super out of date the OPML export doesn’t cover article content, and some of us are hoarders er, collectors of fascinating articles. I’ve been remiss in my reading recently (stupid need to pay the mortgage…) and so I’m sitting at 28,132 unreads. Most of those are going to get eaten by “mark read older than 2 weeks” and such, but at least 2k of the old ones are semi-permanent archives of stuff I don’t want to lose. (My “retired in place” benchmark is around 3k articles, but that was a LOT of reading time.)

I have a thought though… if you want to kill mysql without getting completely inundated with “omg you suck” just find a mysql advocate (NOT VOLUNTEERING) to maintain it and to build a conversion tool. Then just shrug, step back and let the advocate handle it from there. Either people can convert (if they aren’t OP-levels of fucked) or they can talk to the maintainer, but it comes off your plate…

I recognized that MySQL sucks compared to PostgreSQL. I’ve used both for TT-RSS and PostgreSQL is better, obviously. Nevertheless, I had to switch to MySQL because a few other applications I run on the same server needed it. This left me with running two database applications or just using MySQL and the latter won because it’s less work and fewer resources.

It’s not the end of the world if I had to run both, but if we’re really considering dropping MySQL, my vote would be no. At least until I can get a few other applications to switch over. :slight_smile:

chill everyone, nobody is removing mysql support