Questions Android Client

I’ve been using tt-rss for a few days now and certainly haven’t discovered everything yet. Today I started using the Android client, because I will certainly read most of the articles on my smartphone. The ideal view for me is probably the compact mode with pictures. However, they are only tiny and round. Can I make the article images not at least as big as the line of the respective article and not round, but as is usual in other clients, angular? So far I have not been able to find an option.

Second, I would like to use the floating button at the bottom right to mark all articles as read. At least this is common in other newsreaders. As far as I understand it so far, the button serves to reload the articles. But that’s what I achieve by simply dragging the screen down. Are there any way to use the button in my desired way?

maybe not enable compact mode then and use default which has exactly what you need, i.e. huge square images? seriously, what the hell is this complaint?

not gonna happen. mark as read is already in the overflow menu. i can’t imagine why would you want a feature that means “i don’t want to read anything anymore” on the first class place in the UI.

the button does that because it would be annoying to drag headlines up if you’ve read a lot

modify the source, rebuild, use.

Yes, I know. But this default mode is a little bit to big for me. Please don’t get me wrong, I like the compact mode, since this is the way I used for example Inoreader since a long time. It has all in a semi-one-line-view per article. And, its not a complaint, only a simple question. If my wish is not realizable, then I just have to see if I can live with the other modes.

That’s easy to explain. I read the articles, as I am sure most of the other user also, from top to bottom. I deactivated the function “Mark as read when scrolling”, because I sometimes still want to read an article later. Once I’ve reached the bottom of the page, I’m usually through reading all the articles. I then click on the button > All remaining articles are marked as read, synchronized back to the server and ideally I get with this click also new, so far not synchronized articles from the server to the mobile phone. If there is nothing left to read, I close the app. In this respect, the final click on the floating button is one of the most important functions. If the list is empty, the button can be changed to a reload button, or I use the function to drag the screen down.

I’m not an Android developer, otherwise I would sit down and reprogram things. At best in such a way that my new things are optional and can be used again in the usual way. Unfortunately I am not an Android developer.

in my opinion having images stick out somewhere outside compact mode rows would defeat the purpose of having compact mode. gmail-like circle thing on the left was the only sane place for them.

you should be able to long (?) tap them to open gallery view, i think.

personally that’s what i’ve always used starring for, i suggest you do the same. this way auto mark as read can be kept enabled.

if you try keeping things as unread you will be (sort of) working against the UI because this isn’t really a thing that i ever designed tt-rss for, having unread stuff to go back later. my rationale being unless you can zen mind erase yourself you can’t really unread anything. google reader refugees whined a lot about it back in '13.

tt-rss has other functions for filing things for later peruse or archival, like labels, etc.

this really won’t help with the “i’ve scrolled down for 15 minutes and now i want to reload the feed” tho. which is something that i personally run into, a lot.

I have one more question. Currently I can set the sync interval to a maximum of 60 minutes. I would like to synchronize manually when opening the app. How do I achieve this? If I put the app into offline mode, probably nothing is synchronized or am I wrong?

FWIW “mark unread” is the most common thing I do on mobile. (I don’t think I whined but maybe.) I read 3 paragraphs into some big long tome (reviews, science news, stuff like that) and I want to read it on a real display. I’m terrible at going back to starred articles, but mark-unread means it shows up in my feed when I sit down at the computer.