PubSubHubbub/WebSub: Subscription not renewed

I’m using PubSubHubbub (which has been renamed to WebSub lately) to get rid of polling for some feeds.

Unfortunately, TT-RSS (latest git) stopped getting update notification after a week for the feed at Christians Tagebuch

The reason is that my hub only hands out subscriptions valid for a week. The subscription needs to be renewed before it expires, and TT-RSS does not do this yet.

This behavior is specified in the WebSub spec section 5.3.1:

Hubs may make the hub.lease_seconds equal to the value the subscriber passed in their subscription request but may change the value depending on the hub’s policies. To sustain a subscription, the subscriber must re-request the subscription on the hub before hub.lease_seconds seconds has elapsed.

I think tt-rss should store the subscription end date in the feeds table, and have the cronjob renew the subscription a day or 12 hours before it expires.

well i’m glad the name is less unpronouncable now, that’s something at least.

it’s still dead though, the fact that somebody renamed it or whatever is not going to change anything, push for rss feeds is a niche of a niche of a niche of a thing nobody cares about.

when i did initial implementation we didn’t have the robust plugin system tt-rss has now, nowadays i think core code for this is unnecessary, especially if people pushing (sic) it decided to implement non-backwards compatible change on top.

if someone is really interested in webpushing they are free to implement support as a plugin. if there’s any hooks missing i’ll add whatever needed, although i think everything should be in place already.

personally i haven’t seen any feeds supporting pubsubwhatitsface for years now and honestly idgaf, it’s dead code.

PubSubHubbub 0.3 already had lease_seconds in it (in 2010), it’s nothing new - https://pubsubhubbub.github.io/PubSubHubbub/pubsubhubbub-core-0.3.html:

Subscriptions may (at the hub’s decision) have expiration times akin to DHCP leases which must be periodically renewed

Would you accept a patch that adds lease support for the current code?

PubSubHubbub 0.3 already had lease_seconds in it (in 2010), it’s nothing new -

this really doesn’t change anything and the fact that it took literal years for somebody to notice, well you get the picture

Would you accept a patch that adds lease support for the current code?

nope, i’ve already removed the core code. i suggest the plugin route for this.

There it went: https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/commit/5b6ea1ef914d0d33516ce59df69637576055ce66

Ok, I’ll try to make a plugin.