Problems subscribing to a specific feed



I have a problem subscribing to the feed from
The following error message appears:

The specified URL could not be downloaded:; 56 Recv failure: The connection was reset by the communication partner.

If I subscribe to the feed with another RSS reader, it works without any problems.

Where is the problem?



try reading the error message


This is the error message.


That site blocks TinyTinyRSS explicitely, based on the User Agent.

$ wget --user-agent="blah"
--2018-01-07 18:36:50--
Resolving, 2003:2:2:15:80:150:6:143
Connecting to||:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [application/atom+xml]
Saving to: 'atom.php'

atom.php                                                 [ <=>                                                                                                                  ]   5.45K  --.-KB/s    in 0.04s   

2018-01-07 18:36:50 (147 KB/s) - 'atom.php' saved [5580]

$ wget --user-agent="Tiny Tiny RSS/17.12 (bed2d6e) ("
--2018-01-07 18:37:01--
Resolving, 2003:2:2:15:80:150:6:143
Connecting to||:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection reset by peer) in headers.


Thank You for the Info.


Hi Willy,

I faced similar experience; I made a small custom by prefixing the http user agent string with “Wget/” and I solved; string is like “Wget/Tiny Tiny RSS/17.12 (c30f5e1) (”.
I tested your feed at “” with custom user agent and it works.



Any idea why anyone would do that? Anti-frog sanctions? Any way to retaliate by spoofing the User Agent?


Hundreds of TT-RSS users hitting a site every 15 minutes might be one reason. It’s easier to block a user agent than it is to set up proper rate-limiting or caching. Not saying I agree with the practice, but that’s what comes to mind. In reality probably a handful of TT-RSS users abused the site at one point and this is the end result. Rate-limiting is the correct solution, but some people are lazy.

TT-RSS lets you short circuit the user agent by defining SELF_USER_AGENT in the config.php file. However, that’s not an ideal solution. You should first contact the site admin and see if you can work something out. I’ve had a surprising amount of success just sending a simple email with the technical details. Be nice about it, explain the challenge, thank them for the content they produce, blah blah…


i remember some guy having a meltdown over tt-rss (single instance) accessing his bespoke artisanal blog a few times an hour

most likely the answer is autism


I remember that! Can’t find the old thread while
on my phone though. :frowning_face:


Oh, great, thank you.

Nah, too much work, does not appeal. I suck at social engineering. Better change a line in the config.