PDO Exceptions in logging

@fox,
Not sure if this is bug or change in requirements but some of the users for auth_ldap are complaining about logging exceptions when sending the logs to an SQL database.

If they change to file or syslog logging, they don’t get the error.

it’s probably because of this:

2. classes/logger.php(28): log_error(1024, User: admin authentication successful, , , )

you’re using system logging for something other than error messages and until current behavior is changed, somehow, it won’t work because any SQL logging enforces a PDO rollback (i think there’s no way to know if PDO transaction is currently active), which might cause a PDO exception if there’s no running transaction OR abort current transaction if there is.

(although i’m looking at the code now and we’re try-catching that one. maybe the actual cause here is different - $lineno not being an integer because, again, it’s not actually a crash report).

why? because otherwise it would be impossible to log to the database while inside a transaction which is (maybe) pending an abort because some kind of error (maybe database-related) has occurred.

i agree that this is kinda broken but tt-rss normally uses system error log for otherwise fatal errors so it mostly works.

most likely a different approach is needed here, for example, another separate PDO connection used exclusively for SQL logging might work. ideas welcome, as usual.

here’s another recent thread on the subject: Proper way to do Logging in a plugin?

the changeset which was referenced in your github issue changed PDO to use exceptions other than PHP old-school errors for logging, because of this: Intermittent PDOException

Proper way to do Logging in a plugin?

alright so in your particular case

2. classes/logger.php(28): log_error(1024, User: admin authentication successful, , , )

you’re not specifying $lineno which should be an integer which is why it fails, i guess that logging essay i wrote above doesn’t apply

e: i’ve pushed some logging-related improvements, documented in the linked thread.