Next article shortcut not always working

If an article is longer than the height of the browser, using the ‘n’ or ‘p’ shortcuts do not work. They scroll the page like pgdn or pgup until there is another article in the view and then it brings it to the top.

this is working as intended. also,

:thinking:

If this is working as intended maybe the description for the keyboard shortcuts should be changed. Keyboard shortcuts help now says:

• n Open next article
  • Down Open next article
  • p Open previous article
  • Up Open previous article
  • Ctrl+Down Open next article (don’t scroll long articles)
  • Ctrl+Up Open previous article (don’t scroll long articles)

Pressing ‘n’ does not open the next article when the current (open) article is longer than the height of the browser, neither does ‘Down’. It will scroll down UNTIL the next article is in view. Same goes for ‘p’ and ‘Up’ when the top of the article is not in view, it will scroll up until the top of the article is in view.

BTW for Apple users: Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down won’t work unless you disable the keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences, as they are normally mapped to ‘Mission Control’ and ‘Application windows’ respectively.

this has been like that for many years, i figured everyone already knew how this worked

if you can make better concise descriptions for those, i’ll merge the PR.

I found a user plugin in preferences called “hotkeys_noscroll” that implements the n and p keys correctly.

i figured everyone already knew how this worked

I just found this software from kickball’s github list so I didn’t know how it works, I’m just reading your documentation.

The descriptions should say something like “Full page scroll to next article” or “Full page scroll to previous article”

Perhaps “Scroll up article list” and “Scroll down article list” would be a more clarifying way? It’s hard to say how people will interpret things. (In the English language, anyway, there’s so much opportunity for the same words to mean things that are quite different.)

e: I should add that, personally, I think it’s all pretty obvious anyway… I mean, you read the help and you try it out. You can see what the software is doing as soon as you start pressing the keys.

It’s definitely obvious when you click on the button and it doesn’t do what’s in the documentation.

If I read “n: Opens next article”, I would expect it to go straight to the next article. If you had a book reader and it said the n key flipped to the next page, but it actually scrolled the page in increments and then when it reached the bottom it flipped the page would you say it was documented correctly?

I think it should read:

• n Open next article (scroll long articles)
  • Down Open next article (scroll long articles)
  • p Open previous article
  • Up Open previous article
  • Ctrl+Down Open next article (don’t scroll long articles)
  • Ctrl+Up Open previous article (don’t scroll long articles)

I’m not sure what the description for p en Up should be, as pressing those will jump to the start of, and open, the previous article, unless the top of the current (open) article is not in view. I mean, you can’t describe it as ‘sometimes scroll long articles’.

Yeah, I like this better. But I’d use a forward-slash instead of parenthesis.

• Open next article/scroll long article