Label options sometimes not showing in context menu [Solved]

Hello, I have this problem for couple of months:

I’m using Chrome and right click label option “Assign label” or “Remove Label” is usually not displayed.
In the few months I have this problem, I’ve already learned how to influence it.

I think “label” menu is not displayed, when I using “Adaptible View” and don’t have any unread article with labels in folder.

If I load Tiny Tiny RSS page, I land in Fresh articles and “label” menu is not displayed( i do not have any unread article with label).

Same thing is if I load Starred articles ( /#f=-1&c=0 ) even when it contain article with labels - menu is not displayed.

But when I go to All articles, change adaptive view to all, copy url (#f=-4&c=0) and pase it to new tab, in the newly loaded page, the label menu is displayed. (I have article with labels in All articles)

So my question is: Is there any way for me to debug it? It’s really annoying when I need place label on read article and menu is not there. In that case I must somehow to mark the article and d whole copy paste url to new tab and then do labeling.

Or is there a way to force display label menu always ? Thanks you.

tt-rss version :
Tiny Tiny RSS v17.4 (890a7be) (couple day old)
Ubuntu 16.04 PHP 7,PostgreSQL
Browser: Google Chrome 59 Windows

EDIT after 5 days without reply:
Or maybe add “add label” to “Select” menu? Any workaround would be fine. Thanks!

I’m observing the same change in behaviour and came here via the old forum thread Label options not showing in context menu.

I’m using ttrss with three clients: Chrome on Windows, Chrome on Linux and the Android client. Neither MSIE nor Edge.

The described behaviour affects my ttrss usage on both Windows and Linux.

Last week I updated my ttrss installation to the current git state (a6990df3ad80b59f5cf415c11092d3105fc57883 on CentOS 7, MariaDB 5.5 el7, PHP 5.6). My previous update was in January 2017 and until that update I did not observe the mentioned behaviour.

How to reproduce

Test 1

By default “fresh articles” will be opened:

• No label options present in right click menu
  • reloading the page (F5)
  • No labels options

Changing to “starred articles”:

• No labels options
  • labels options are part of the menu!

Changing back to “fresh articles”

• labels menus are part of the menu

Test 2

With a new browser instance (all windows closed before):

Default opening in “fresh articles”

• No labels menu

Changing to “starred articles”

• No labels menu
  • labels options are part of the menu!

Changing back to “fresh articles”

• labels menus are part of the menu

@mrflible: At least there’s a workaround for me although it is a bit inconvenient.

Hope this helps with debugging.

If I find the time, I’ll restore my backup of the previous version and see how it behaves to rule out the browser version.

most likely on your (and ops’) install initial fresh feed opens faster than feed tree which causes this behavior because the context menu entry requires loaded category list to copy data from.

this is not optimal and needs to be reworked somehow i guess but i’m not giving any promises on when it happens.

this is a drag. @fox until you sort this out are there other ways to add labels to an article, like perhaps a plugin that puts a button in each article’s header ?

if it helps anyone, the workAround i use is a bookmark to a category like /#f=29&c=1 … always get labels … then switch to fresh.

i also don’t get unread counts. is this related ? … <F5> they appear, and again a bookmark to a category will always make them appear. if i’m off base, i don’t want to threadJack. i can do a new one.

EDIT: i just noticed 1 more thing … when i mark an article read in fresh… that makes a number appear for the parent category.

@boolioncube Thanks for workaround. Bookmark to category (for me) sadly works only if two condition is met:
a) there are unread articles it that category (strangely it don’t work on category with all read articles switch adaptive view)
b) There are some articles with labels, in that category :slight_smile:

I find out, that often is fastest open my phone with Tiny Tiny RSS app and set article category in app :slight_smile:

@fox
Thanks, that explanation make sense and explains this behavior.
PS: In an android app this problem does not occur, so I guess there is a completely different implementation?

1. disable the third party theme before reporting ui related problems

2. i think there was even a faq entry at some point the tldr of which was don’t sperg over counters, they don’t appear and update immediately, this is working as designed

3. counters are loaded asynchronously after the feed tree is initialized, if they don’t appear at all check browser error console for errors/timeouts. i’m reasonably certain that current implementation is solid as it never failed me on a variety of devices for literal years now, so if you feel that counters misbehave somehow prepare a really convincing argument for me to dig into this.

yes, obviously

e: https://git.tt-rss.org/git/tt-rss/commit/5e78b0c253d56d85b0339636c8793f93c835b792 report here if better or worse

Works like a charm for me. Labels have come back after several months of absence.
Thx, fox.
PS: only thing maybe: labels seems not to be sorted alphabetically in the add/remove menu. I kind of remember they used to be, but I could be wrong.

it’s possible, but should be an easy fix to sort by caption. i’ll try to take a look a bit later.

mfw literally have one label

@fox Thank you Fox! You’re the best :slight_smile:
After git pull origin master I have label menu in every situation I tried.

@okashi
I do not see any difference in the sorting of labels. In prefs.php are sorted by alphabet. And in “Subscribe to Feed / Place in category” I have them sorted as before the update

@mrflible I am referring to the assign/remove label options for articles. Categories in subscribe to feed are sorted just fine in my setup.

@okashi My bad:) In assing/remove label, labels are sorted by date I create them - so by ID I suppose.
You are right that earlier it was probably by alphabet
I have about 15 labels, so I do not have a problem with it :slight_smile:

https://git.tt-rss.org/git/tt-rss/commit/51f13e77367df10ca4eae8ab7a253c350c7b51d8

@fox labels sorted alphabetically, now, thanks !

@fox Same here, labels are sorted by alphabet.Thank you again Fox.

confirmed to be working again