Is it possible to create a hierarchy of categories

Hi,

Im using ttras for quite some years now and still a happy user. However I now got a few hundred feeds, and for some it would make sense to create subgroups. Just like every file browser can show a directory tree, I wish ttrss had something like that. And iirc ttrss already had such a feature or plugin in the past.

Maybe I just didn’t find the right spot to enable it?

Tldr: Is it possible to have nested category trees within ttrss? Ig yes, how to enable them. If no, is it possible to do as a plugin or does it require changing core functionality?

Thanks
Helt

drag categories on other categories in preferences to nest them.

you don’t have to enable anything, it has been supported for many years now.

After upgrading to latest, Ir worked. I was still running v 1.6.8 or something… Thank you

Side note experience; I just tried this and it would not save, it visually showed me that I had moved one category into the other, but when I refreshed the view it just showed them on the same level again (I think I have never tried this in the past).

Not sure what it did, but after using the reset option under Feeds and Categories it now seems that it is finally saving as intended whenever I do a drag and drop category update.

there was a recent fix related to drag and drop in feed editor

Noted, maybe I’m needing that… after I did this though I’ve just noticed that when I’m adding new feeds they are no longer sorted alphabetically under each category, could that as well be related?

reset the sorting and it’ll go back to normal

Roger roger, will give that a go, thanks!

As a note, if anyone else runs into this thread and gets confused as to why it’s not working, the drag and drop seems to work in Chrome, but not Firefox.

you’re right, i’ll make a note to take a look at this.
dnd is handled almost entirely by Dojo so i wouldn’t get my hopes up.

it seems that feed tree method which deals with item validation on drag&drop (checkItemAcceptance in dijit.Tree) is not being called on firefox for some reason.

i might be doing something wrong, of course, but at first glance it looks like the problem is somewhere outside of tt-rss code, could be either Dojo/Dijit or Firefox. :frowning:

I confirm this issue : with Firefox browser, in Preferences > Feeds, impossible to modify Categories / Feeds order via Drag and Drop.

Tested with :

• Firefox v60 and v65 Linux
  • Firefox v65 Windows 10

Drag and Drop works perfectly with Microsoft Edge on Windows 10.

This issue is known in Dojo / Dijit with recent versions of Firefox, see issue #161 on Dojo / Dijit Github. It’s fixed in Dojo / Dijit version 1.14.3 (version 1.14.2 included for TT-RSS :frowning: ).

I tested a temporary fix in lib/flat-ttrss/flat_combined.css :

dijitTree{overflow:auto; -moz-user-select:none;}

Drag and Drop works on Firefox with this fix : categories and feeds order can be modified :slight_smile:

Could you test this fix and commit it if it’s OK for you ?

sure, file a PR (post your gogs account here as per usual procedure if you need fork access)

e: is overflow:auto really needed though?

e2: don’t modify lib though, changes must be limited to tt-rss css, lib is rebuilt on dojo update etc. preferably to specific dnd enabled tree ids in preferences, i think.

I filed a PR with a modification on default.css instead. That worked for me.