How to organize feeds? categories, tags, labels, scores, filters and their synergy

Ahhhh…maybe that is my problem. I’ll try a single filter.

Originally I had 3 single filters for each show and for Apply Actions: I had it assign a PBS Label, Star those articles, and Modify the score (+100). Then Options I had Enabled and Match Any Rule. It was doing what I wanted on those 3 shows, but of course still passing the crap through.

So I tried what I mentioned earlier, but the junk was still coming through, which didn’t make sense.

I’ll see what a single filter does for me.

Is there a point which a single filter would get to “long” and “choke” for the lack of a better term? If I were to put every PBS show in one long filter (20+ shows)???

Thanks!

Some of my filters contain far more than 20 phrases and still work. The only problem with very complex filter is that you cannot test them anymore as they are sent in the URL as a GET parameter and will be cut off (not sure if this is a browser/JavaScript/whatever) limitation.

I always test my filters at Regex101. I’m by no means a regex master, but my Frankensteinish creations seem to work for what I want.

Thanks again!

I usually do the same for more complex expressions.
Keep in mind though that TT-RSS uses "/$regex/iu" for all filters.

So if I’m using "/$regex/iug" during my testing that wouldn’t translate over if I were using MATCH ANY RULE, since the “g” is global???

There is no need for the global modifier as one match is sufficient for a rule to be considered valid.

Match any rule is only required if you define multiple rules within one set but any of them should be sufficient to trigger the defined action(s). Without it all defined rules must match, e.g. match foo in title but only if the author is spiderman.

Gotcha…I misunderstood what that was doing. Thanks.

no, but filter UI might not work very well if you make hundreds of rules. list container is not very large, stuff like that.

i wonder if that could be easily reworked to use POST. i’ll make a note to take a look at this when i’m bored enough.

Hmm, I have quite a lot of filters and noticed that I am unable to reorder them using drag & drop. Might that be related?

Thanks, that would be great.

depends. if you can drag and drop but order is not saved, maybe. if you simply can’t drag things around on the client properly then it’s dojo and it’s out of my hands.

as usual try in a different browser, etc.

Seems to be browser related. In Chrome reordering is working (last time I checked didn’t work either).

Also tried Firefox using a fresh profile without any extensions. The developer console does not show any errors though. If I release the mouse key, the edit window for the dragged filter shows up instead.

The problem only seems to affect the filters. I can still reorder the feeds and categories.

there was a recent PR related to fixing dnd in firefox, maybe it didn’t affect filter tree. i don’t even have firefox installed anymore so someone else will have to deal with it.

I use Firefox and for me at least it’s very very specific how fast I move mouse and exactly where on page I’m moving (dragging) else I won’t get “little green arrow” to show where feed its going to be put after dragging.
I don’t if that’s what every else using Firefox experiences???

You are right. It still works on Firefox but only if I start dragging the filter on the check mark and if the mouse cursor is in the area above the target checkmark (orange on screenshot).

Using Chrome I can grab the filter anywhere and will always see the green drop arrow within the marked area.

Exactly!!! Sorry I should’ve stated where I was clicking and dragging from.

Also, the Chrome feature is how Firefox use to work.

If using a single filter which inverse matching is better?"

Screenshot_2019-05-22%20Tiny%20Tiny%20RSS%20Preferences

OR

Screenshot_2019-05-22%20Tiny%20Tiny%20RSS%20Preferences(1)

I actually never had a use case for the generic Inverse matching option but for a single filter the Inverse regular expression matching is probably better as it will be shown in red and thus easier to spot.

Do you ever find that your filters are not grabbing everything?

I have a couple of technology feeds that I read and changed my filters to a single filter looking for words in Title such as Linux, Arch, Centos, Nginx, Python, Bash, etc.

I noticed I wasn’t getting very many articles. What did come through was perfectly filtered to match my “keywords”.

I went to look at a few of the sites and there were articles with my “keywords” in the title(s) that never came through. I have my cron job to update feeds set to run every 30 mins at top and bottom of the hour. I don’t understand why some are being missed.

If a site serves 10 items in their RSS feed, but publishes 15 items in 20 minutes, you will miss some because you’re only checking every 30 minutes.

There was a news site I used to follow that only showed 10 items in their feed, but routinely published more than that number in as little as 10 minutes. Busy sites need more items in their feeds (which you can’t control) or need to be checked more frequently (which you can control).

Also consider (and it’s probably unlikely if you’re just matching simple words) that content can be HTML-encoded entities, which wouldn’t match against the filter’s regular expressions. It’s probably not the case but I’m mentioning it because it’s a technical possibility.

Also try the feed debugger to check if the missing articles show up there and which filters are applied.