Favicon Badge Plugin

2018-08-26-202012_3200x1800_scrot_crop2018-08-29-103314_3200x1800_scrot_crop

What: Favicon Badge - an updated plugin
Why: This plugin shows the unread article count on the page’s favicon. Helps you notice updated feeds when the tab is pinned.
Where: GitHub - ctag/favicon_badge: A favicon-unread-count plugin for tt-rss

Hi,

I woke up one day a while back, and found I’d been smote by Google. Chromium no longer shows the blue notification dot over pinned tabs that have updates, and I’ve been unsuccessful in re-enabling it.

I wasn’t able to get the original favicon_badge plugin to work for me, so I adjusted it to work on Chrome, and put it on github.

This updated plugin uses MutationObserver to notice when the page title changes. It should be a little lighter on resources than the previous polling one per second approach, but I don’t really know. It’s also switched over to a different favicon library: favico.js which works, but appears similarly unmaintained.

Known bug: After reading the last unread article, the favicon doesn’t drop back to stock. I’m still trying to fix it. Should be fixed in the first release.

Known bug: Sometimes the title update doesn’t trigger a notification badge to appear. Seems to happen when I take my laptop out of suspend and there are unread articles.

Hi. I’m running a fresh 18.12 install on DietPi (Rpi3) lighttpd/mariadb/php7.0 stack and wanted to use this plugin. Cannot enable it in settings however. JRE and javascript-commons are installed but I’m wondering what I’m missing or whether it’s a general deprecation since the last update is from August 2018?

Would be glad about feedback.

PS: As a comparison, I tried favicon_unread_counter that could be enabled, but didn’t yield any changes to favicon either.

Hi iophobia,

It’s true I don’t update my ttrss instance often. Just git pulled the latest, and once I worked past the despair that the Fresh Articles icon has been changed from a coffee mug to a flame, I note that favicon_badge is still available in the Preferences dialog. We’ll have to wait until my feed updates for me to visually confirm the number still appears on the tab.

This plugin shouldn’t need anything external to work, it comes bundled with the only javascript pre-req. Can you share a bit more about your setup? You installed this plugin to the ttrss/plugins.local directory, correct? And you can see it in the Preferences -> Plugins -> User Plugins area? But it cannot be enabled?

Sorry this didn’t just work for you, but hopefully we can get whatever’s wrong sorted out.

*edit: Yup, still works, just saw two new posts appear on the favicon.

lol

/20char20char20char20char20char

Tried both in plugins & plugins.local. Even force-enabling via config.php. Just narrowed it down to something browser-specific in FF 66 Beta as Edge (yikes) let me enable the plugin.

What happens however in any scenario where it’s active, as soon as I leave prefs, site is stuck on loading screen just like I had with the original favicon_badge when it went obsolete.

CHMOD is at 755 with www-data being owner. Any other hints are appreciated.

Woof, it’s been a minute since I used Firefox. Had to go clear out a hundred tabs from when I was in college.

Works for me on FF 64.0.2.

I’m using ttrss on a jail in FreeBSD, and root owns the files (I know, I know), but your permission settings look fine to me. Have you ls -lasth 'ed and checked that those permissions match pretty well with the other tt-rss files in there?

Oh lord, updating was a mistake. What even is this title/header janky fading stuff? It’s the javascript and CSS hell that I want to escape by reading articles away from the websites, dude!

Oh, right, matter at hand. iophobia: you said you’ve installed favicon_unread_counter as well. Did it enable? Have you been able to install and enable any other plugins? That might help narrow down if the issue is me or something else.

I could easily enable e.g. toggle_sidebar FWIW. Even pasted the 18.12 over a “tt-rss” I pulled from the official repository to see whether any official dependency (dojo libraries etc) was to blame. To no avail, still no badge (not even one depicting zero).

Sorry for wrongly incentivizing you to update. At least you have a badge ;/

PS: I highly recommend levito’s feedly theme for ttrss if you want to get rid of these issues.

you can easily disable floating title bar with user css #floatingTitle { display : none; }

by using a javascript and css-based web application

Still no luck. I’ll be looking into Tinycon implementation once I have more spare time. Maybe, that’ll work differently.

Thank you!

Aaaa! The truth; it hurts! Make it stop!

Hrm. Ok, so I’m using apache2.4, psql, and php7.2. I have no idea how to root out dependency issues, but there well may be some there.

On my plugin there should be no badge for 0 unread.

No problem haha. And thanks for the tip!

Shucks. Just to be sure, is there any interesting output on Actions > Preferences > System > Event Log?
Or anything useful in the browser’s console when you try to enable the plugin?

Nothing in TTRSS event log but just found this in FF error console (F12). Maybe it’s something dojo-related after all.
error

Somebody referenced a similar problem with no default language being set in FF but this can be ruled out.

My libjs-dojo-core is v1.11.0 btw.

Uhoh. Is that all of the error text?

The word “dojo” isn’t in the plugin source anywhere I can find… And their site is one of those newfangled “Scale! Works perfectly! Buzzwords! What is it? We don’t even know!” kind of deals.

… So it looks like Dojo is a javascript AMD wrapper or something, so my plugin is being loaded from TT-RSS by it? And breaking? See if you can get me more error text to Google from, I’ll also see if I can make it break like this when I get a moment.

as a quick hijack of thread. #floatingTitle seems to behave bizarrely, it shows up after the article has scrolled some number of pixels, can it show as soon as the title bar has disappeared?

i don’t have the code in front of me right now but scroll events are rate limited for performance reasons which is probably why this happens

my suggestion would be not sperging over minor things like that

Is this plugin still being worked on? I just upgraded my Install and I really miss the favicon badge :frowning:

Uh oh
giphy

I don’t update my tt-rss instance very often. When I get a chance I’ll pull the latest and see if it breaks for me too.

Thanks for reporting the issue, otherwise I just wouldn’t know!

Awesome, glad I could be of some assistance then :wink:

OK, I’ve git pull’ed the latest tt-rss, and fox must have been smiling down on me because I didn’t lose all my articles.

The badge plugin still seems to work though.
Can you get me some more information? This plugin was working for you previously, and you upgraded recently and it stopped? Please double check for me that the plugin is turned on in the preferences window.

pfff like this ever happened

1 Like