Change on Tumblr: RSS feeds not working

Yeah but GDPR was finalised in January 2018 so nothing they did beforehand was actually useful. Still, tumbler has shown some Yahoo! level cluelessness here.

Thank you for your help. Iinstall curl but doesn’t install curl module for php. Now all work fine.

I just pulled and it works now, I assume that I was affected by the bug fixed with this commit.

edit: fixed link

So many bugs for a so short plugin code.
But I’ve fixed a critical bug (prohibit new subs) about subscription to new feeds in the v1.2 version.

:smiling_face: Welcome to life as a developer!

In any case, I and many here, are very grateful for your work. Thank you!

I’m not sure if this is related to @GregThib’s plugin or tt-rss, but I can’t seem to enable the plugin. I tried putting it in plugins.local (tried plugins as well), changed permissions and ownership to match the other files and directories.
Any pointers to what I should check?

Per Issue 5, can you confirm that you put it in a directory named tumblr_gdpr? The plugin won’t work if you give the directory a different name.

Are you up-to-date with tt-rss ?
Maybe you have some debug information into “System” tab (into tt-rss preferences)

This email from Tumblr:

Hello,

I wanted to give you a quick status update on the issue you reported. Our engineers are actively working on this bug, but it’s going to take some more time to fully resolve. Thank you for your patience!

Kind regards,
Seth

Not clear whether or not it’s a bot…

Translation: we are clueless and have no idea what we are doing.

i can just imagine the titanic effort involved

I got exactly the same message, so bot it is…

I don’t know if a plugin can handle that, but you just have to change the user-agent to googlebot to bypass the GDPR complain and to allow displaying feeds of tumblr blogs with “sensitive media” as well. No need to bake cookies anymore.

you can definitely do that with a plugin, override fetch and set user-agent for CURL request for example

@GregThib @Logological Thank you for your replies. I have been away for a week, but just confirmed that the problem was that I named the folder tumblr-gdpr and not tumblr_gpdr. The plugin seems to work for me now.

Oh wow! I did not test that. It would have been much simpler.

@GregThib It looks like Oath changed something on their side, and your plugin can’t circumvent the permission page anymore. Because keeping up every time Oath changes some detail would be cumbersome, I wrote a plugin that changes the user agent like @homlett suggested. You can find it here:

Hopefully, that solution will be more future-proof than doing the hare-and-tortoise race with Oath’s permission system. It’s my first plugin for TT-RSS, so if there are any glaring oversights, I’d be thankful for a heads up :wink:

Done that too. Hope that will be stable for now, or Tumblr fixe this bug.
Thx alot!!

P.S: I’ve seen your plugin code, and I’m not sure about the subscription process. Because when TT-RSS try to subscribe, it call a new instance of PluginHandler (or anything like that) ; this one doesn’t have config loaded yet.
I’m not sure to be clear, so you can take a look at my code, lines 53+ :

function hook_subscribe_feed($contents, $fetch_url, $auth_login, $auth_pass) {
	// first, load plugin and his data
	static $kind_user = false;
	if(!$kind_user) {
		$kind_user = @$this->about()[3] ? $this->host->KIND_SYSTEM : $this->host->KIND_USER;
		$this->host->load(get_class($this), $kind_user, $_SESSION["uid"], true);
		$this->host->load_data();
	}
	if (!$this->is_supported($fetch_url)) return $contents;

$feed_data = $this->fetch_tumblr_contents($fetch_url, $auth_login, $auth_pass);
	$feed_data = trim($feed_data);

return $feed_data;
}

I had to do that, because subscription process doesn’t work without it.

@GregThib I finally could get your plugin working (v1.2) - Hurray!

For me was unlcear that I need to install the plugin to plugins.local and RENAME the extracted dir from zip to tumblr_gdpr.

Secondly I was not aware that I need to apt install php-curl. I kept wondering how to force php to use curl.

Thirdly you mention in the packaged README.md one can enter tumbler hosted domains with different name in “prefs/config/Tumblr GDPR”. Where is this to be found, please?

Thanks,
Alex.

Couldn’t decide if I should put this here, since this has become more of a GDPR thread, or in a topic of it own, but decided here for neatness’ sake.

Until today, blogs that were filtered due to Safe Mode could still be accessed via their RSS feeds without being logged in, but it seems that Tumblr has changed that policy, and those RSS feeds are now blocked to anonymous users, or users that have not turned off Safe Mode.

Hard to say if this will be short term or long term (probably the latter.) Attempted to circumvent with hkockerbeck’s tumblr_gdpr_ua on the off-chance that Tumblr wasn’t blocking Google user agents, and failed. I forget if it’s possible to set cookies for TTRSS (search of discourse seemed inconclusive), but I doubt anything short of an actual login will work, now.