Change on Tumblr: RSS feeds not working

What did you specifically change it to? I hit my own webserver with wget from another machine and plucked out the exact user agent string and it’s not working for me.

Wget/1.15 (linux-gnu)

Is that what you have, or similar? Or just the word “Wget”?

First I tried ‘wget’, which worked for tumblr, but prompted a 406 error from Joe.My.God. so I changed it to ‘Wget’, whereupon everything started working.

I’m contemplating whether it’d be worth the trouble to put together a plugin that detects when it’s being redirected to a non-RSS page and tries other popular user-agents until it gets a good answer

Thanks for the tip. I did some more digging and found that I had forgotten to enable the mod. It’s now working with the Wget/1.15 (Linux-gnu) user agent (and I’m sure would work with just Wget).

Did anyone get this working with safe mode filtered feeds?

Using tumblr_gdpr_ua, if i leave the UA as ‘googlebot’ I get 302 redirects to

Tumblr

If i change the UA to “Wget/1.15 (linux-gnu)” I get 303 redirects to

Tumblr

I’m not sure what UA I can use to get the rss feed!

Did anyone get this working with safe mode filtered feeds?

Yesterday it worked fine for me by changing the UA to “Wget”. But you are right, it seems like Tumblr changed something again.

Right now it is not working with any Tumblr-feed (safe mode filtered feeds or “normal” ones). Tested with new UA in a) the global config.php, b) tumblr_gdpr and c) tumblr_gdpr_ua.
Tested with “googlebot”, with the UA of wget and with the typical UA of Firefox. For me nothing is working anymore. Also new Tumblr-feeds can not be subscribed to anymore (error: “This URL does not contain a feed”).

Looks like Tumblr changed things again in the last few hours. I try to find more details.

Tumblr is annyoing…

It does seem to work with the Baidu UA (“Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Baiduspider; +http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.html)”). If you call curl from the command line you have to supply the -L parameter to follow the redirect.

Edit: It also works with the Facebook external hit UA: facebookexternalhit/1.0 (+http://www.facebook.com/externalhit_uatext.php)

can confirm that Loewi’s ua options are working for me. Thank you very much well deserved :heart_decoration:

Let’s see how long they’ll work.

Yes, lets see. Thank you very much for finding these (for now) working UAs!

Hi. Just to be sure, can someone confirm that the two Loewi’s UA are still working ?

I tried it and didn’t succeded.

I can confirm it’s still working for me with UA:

facebookexternalhit/1.0 (+http://www.facebook.com/externalhit_uatext.php)

Which plugin are you using?
What do you get when you try to debug the feed?

I was trying to access the tumblr blog and changing the user agent with a firefox addon.

But it seems I made a mistake, I should have tried to access the rss feed url and not the blog directly.

TT-RSS was able to access the tumblr feeds today, so it works with the facebook UA !

is the “(+http…” part also required or does ‘facebookexternalhit/1.0’ alone work as UA?

Yes, that part is also required.It is part of the UA. It may work without but I didn’t check.

Don’t know if anybody’s still interested in it, but anyway… I just released v1.1 of my tumblr_gdpr_ua plugin. Discourse doesn’t seem to like me posting links, but you can find the new version in the Github repository I mentioned in this thread a while back.

Previously, the user agent to use with Tumblr feeds has been hardcoded in the plugin. With v1.1, you can set the user agent you wish to use in the plugin’s settings. If no user agent is set, the plugin falls back to GoogleBot’s UA.

Hopefully, this becomes helpful if Tumblr changes things around again and you want to change the user agent.

it’s easy to find but i guess we might as well repeat it here, it’s a long thread:

After removing RSS from blogs with ‘sensitive media’ Tumblr is as good as dead now. But thanks for the update anyway.

I’m still very interested in this plugin: tumblr_gdpr_ua and thank you to all those who’ve cooked it up.
Although, I’m trying to install it on a fresh update of tt-rss and I can’t see it in my list of plugins. I’ve dropped it in the plugins.local folder and also tried the plugins folder. But it just does not show up. Anyone has the same issue?

(tt-rss git (6060963), debian 10, mysql, php7.3)

You probably need to rename its folder from tumblr-gdpr-ua to tumblr_gdpr_ua to match its class.

Oh god! Thank you for this. I completely missed this change between ‘-’ and ‘_’. The Github project is named ttrss-tumblr-gdpr-ua and I just thought I needed to remove the ttrss- part. Thank you for this.