Can't install TTRSS on a Raspberry Pi 4 with Docker

Hello, I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with Raspbian Buster (10) and docker installed.
I’m trying to install TTRSS on my RPi with Docker following the official guide
A primitive set of scripts to deploy tt-rss via docker-compose (can’t insert links here)

I am following thoroughly the guide, but when I start the containers, after a while, I get this errors:

web_1 | standard_init_linux.go:211: exec user process caused “exec format error”

ttrss-docker_web_1 exited with code 1

And after that, the app container begins to restart all over again.
Googling looks like it’s a compatibility problem, so I wonder if somehow I can change configuration file to make it work on ARM.

Thank you

web is the caddy container, if it’s not available for arm you can try switching to nginx as a web frontend (docker-compose.yml example for it should be in git log, before switch to caddy)

personally i would advise against running tt-rss on rpi especially if you use microsd for storage.

e: you can also try looking for other caddy containers which actually run on arm.

Thank you.
I managed to make it work by using the jessestuart/caddy
image.
For now seems to work fine.

Are you worried about MicroSD degradation in case of a lot of writes?

it’s mostly about iops (that is, lack thereof) you’re going to get on a microsd.

e: i think rpi4 finally has some kind of support for faster storage, however i don’t remember exactly what (usb3?).

e2: idk about that particular container but i think caddy has some kind of built-in telemetry (container i was using states that it is disabled), if you care about those things you might want to investigate it.

I had the same problem, I was about to post my experience in the docker feedback thread, I went with rolling back the caddy commit to use nginx - but jessestuart/caddy is a good find :thinking:

I’m running the server for LAN access only so to be honest I’m happy to continue with a custom patch to run nginx for now.

It’s not too bad, actually. I’m migrating from a mac mini server (an older model with a HDD) and it feels about the same to navigate around. The filesystem cache must be doing a pretty good job.

if it doesn’t have telemetry and works on amd64 too i think we could use it as the default so stock setup works on rpi.

Looking at the github repo used to build the image, it is fully cross platform but sadly it does have telemetry enabled.

Hello,

I know this is an old topic but would you (Marco_Lazzarotto and/or sypder) please share your docker-compose for the jessestuart/caddy container and say briefly how you made it work with TTRSS ?
I’m also trying to make it work with a raspberry pi 4 and I’m having the same issue. I’m not a pro at this, so if you could share some details about how you solved this I would be really grateful :slight_smile:

Many thanks

in web/Dockerfile change “FROM abiosoft/caddy:no-stats” to “FROM jessestuart/caddy”

Same as coolfruit
2020-10-16 08_49_16-marco@rpi1_ ~

why not use web-nginx? is it not available for arm?

_1 Thanks for the reply @coolfruit and @Marco_Lazzarotto, I got it working :slight_smile:

_2 Sorry for the delay in the answer @fox , I didn’t have time to play with my Pi 4 recently.

I finally managed to make TTRSS work on the Pi, but it only works when building from the Dockerfile myself. When I use your DockerHub images, it doesn’t work (same error as Marco_Lazzarotto).
This is true also for the other containers you posted on the Hub, but they work fine when built from Dockerfiles.

My goal is to have watchtower update all my containers at once everyday right after backup, so if possible I’d prefer to avoid relying on an updating container only for TTRSS.

I’m far from an expert in this, but my guess is that docker sees linux/amd64 and therefore pulls the base image (alpine, nginx, …) with that OS. But when I build the Dockerfile, it can pull the linux/arm/v6 version of the FROM alpine:3.12 or FROM nginx:alpine.
If I understand correctly, just duplicating your Dockerfiles and specifying linux/arm/v6 on Docker Hub would allow Pi 4 users to not rely on an extra container and to only use Docker-compose to run TTRSS from scratch (instead of having to pull files from github).
In that case, if it’s not too much work, are you okay with doing it ? :slight_smile:

there’s not going to be an out of the box available official tt-rss setup for raspberry pi.

better wording - i’m not going to bother providing docker hub images for the rpi.

i think i’ve posted enough on this subject here already so i’m not going to repeat myself re: why.

e: i’ve updated docker setup faq - https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/ttrss-docker-compose/wiki/Home#how-do-i-make-this-work-on-raspberry-pi