Blog page for new releases / release notes?

So tt-rss is super awesome.
Is there any kind of blog or overview page which lists new releases and preferably the release notes?
The main page has a “feeds” section, however I wasnt able to find any that covers the actual releases (only some for issue trackers).

It would be quite ironic if, out of all the software, a rss project had no rss feed to track releases, but I guess I m just missing something here.
Much appreciated.

tt-rss doesn’t have “releases”.

Always use latest Git code from master branch.

• tt-rss. org/wiki/InstallationNotes

to track git commits on the master branch see srv.tt-rss. org/feeds/tt-rss.xml (found by way of srv.tt-rss. org/feeds/ which is the “feeds” link at the top of every page on the tt-rss website).

the feeds are for git commits, not trackers. you can consider every commit a release if it makes you feel any better :slight_smile:

Hmmm, I m not interested in single git commits.

Let me re-phrase the question:
in the top-row / header in tt-rss I have an icon which tells me that a new version is available.

Where can I see what was changed / fixed /features added in that new version so I can evaluate if I should update or not.

Thank you.

if you want me to do this for you, we can discuss pricing via PM. it’s not going to be cheap though.

I think we have an answer.

You’ll just have to learn how to read git commits. It’s not that difficult if you start doing it.

It could be worse, you could be trying to trawl through the git commit messages of the latest Linux kernel stable release and understand if any of it has security implications, or fixes a bug you’ve been experiencing.

Frankly, I don’t even see how a list of commit messages is all that different from release notes. One is a list of changes, the other is a list of changes. :man_shrugging:

It depends on the nature of the commit messages. Sometimes they’re very technical, requiring familiarity with the code/concepts to interpret.

For a project such as this, it’s vitally important for someone who’s time is more important to themselves than it is to others.

• One is a list of changes.

• The other is a list of changes.

Can’t you see the difference?

You monster!

Well of course there is usually a difference between a list of github commits and what people consider the “release notes”.
Release notes cover the major changes from one version to another and not a list of every single commit.
Its basically a summary of the commits list pointing out important changes.

Every major project seems to follow this philosophy as it will let you decide if it is worth going through the update process (which includes several steps, including a valid backup and so on) or not.

However, I

1. got the information I needed (ie. not there is not such page)
  2. learned that the concept of a dedicated release notes page seems to be (surprisingly) frowned upon here to a certain degree.

Hiding the update notification with CSS and remaining on the current version for the foreseeable future (as I have not encountered any major bugs and have to time of tracking git commits for important feature updates) will be the way to go for me.

So thank you for the clarification.

I think we, here, understand the difference. The reason we’re poking fun at it is because the difference isn’t that large. Of the projects I follow many just include the commit messages in their release notes; fixing syntax, duplicates, etc.

Consider as well that TT-RSS is largely “done” in terms of what it does. There are improvements (like moving to PDO for the database, or updating the UI to use CSS where JavaScript was once required, etc.), but it’s not like tomorrow there’s going to be a new breaking change that launches TT-RSS into the next decade. So what is a release note supposed to say?

Looking at the last week of changes we basically added another hook for plugins, escaped and sanitized some data to prevent breaking things in rare cases (seriously, some of those “bugs” were there for years before anyone reported them, that’s how obscure they were). And that’s basically it. You want fox or someone else to take time to separate that into a separate text file because it’s too hard to skim through 14-lines of text?

And projectorettes?

The mind, while not boggling, is intrigued…

Look, you did it already right there, summarized important improvements in recent times.
How long did that take you? 30 seconds?

Grocy for example has a great Changelog page with RSS integration, which gives you all the neccessary information for the latest version on one glance:

Oh look, Jellyfin has something similar:

As well as Seatable:

And of course Nextcloud (again with RSS):

So thats 100% of the “main” projects I use at the moment.

Based on this 4/4 track record, I think its understandable that I was looking for something similar for ttrss.

This doesn’t prove your point, it proves mine. Commit messages are fine because they only take “30 seconds” to go through.

It is our sincere hope that your expectations have been properly aligned.

Yes, as mentioned above, my question has been answered and I will act accordingly.
Thank you.

So you’re just never going to update again because – you’re an idiot?

hopefully he will uninstall the whole thing and go back to nextcloud^Wreddit

Oh wow, that sure leaves a good impression of tone in this community,

The funny thing is, if you search for tt-rss alternatives, you get lots of entries for people who want nothing to do with the main developer of the software.
So this seems to be a common thing to happen.

Its interesting and also sad that many people seem to be driven away from such a decent project due to the childish character of the developer and his minions.
I m also glad you gave me some insight, how things are done here, before I spent the money for the mobile app.

So while it is (again) sad to see such an unprofessional tone in the official forums, I m still glad I learned something from it.

Why are you calling me a minion? You come here with a question and you were provided with an answer. Apparently the answer is not to your liking and this is somehow our problem?