Blacklisted by feedburner. Ever happened to anyone?

Hi all,
For a couple of days I am unable to update feeds with feedburner’s address.
I checked with myfeedsucks and via browser on my desktop and they seems to be working.
Tt-rss on the other end time outs. I have the same result if I connect via ssh to the server and wget any feedburner’s url.
Is it possible that I have been blacklisted?
Feedburner.com has no way to contact them.
Has it ever happened to anyone before? Any work around?
Thank you in advance.
Regards

if it’s a VDS, you can try asking your hosting provider for a different IP / subnet.

dealing with google in situations like this is always a kafka-esque nightmare, good luck.

I am shared hosting unfortunately. I contacted my provider and they will take a look.
In the meantime I found a Google support forum and posted there too. I do not think it will be helpful, but who knows…
I also disabled update for all the feedburner feeds I have. If it’s something automatic, hopefully not requesting updates for a couple of days might unblock me.

you can also try changing tt-rss user agent in case it’s something against tt-rss in particular. happened before.

Just an update: today I was able to fetch articles again, without any change on my side.

I could not find a way to get in touch with Feedburner/Google, but I suppose they check their support forum: Redirecting to Google Groups

Even though they never replied, I guess posting there might have unlocked the issue.

Or maybe not and I will be blacklisted again in the future.

who knows, my guess would be some kind of automatic ip range ban, maybe even completely unrelated to your polling, which just happened to overlap your tt-rss IP.

Thing is a lot of sites use Feedburner so if you’re updating every 15 or 30 minutes and a large portion are Feedburner you’re hitting their site a lot. If it happens again, maybe go through your feeds:

SELECT DISTINCT feed_url FROM ttrss_feeds;

And if you have a lot, reduce the update frequency for those feeds.

Keep in mind many sites use 30x redirects from their proper domain (e.g. example.com/feed/ will redirect to Feedburner) so you might have to run the feeds through script or something to automate it.

It could have been that. In the meanwhile, I used a spare account with a different provider, where I installed TT-Rss as I was able to reach Feedburner from there. I published from there and subscribed to my “main” account, which was kind of a mystic experience, as it worked beautifully but sometimes had to guess which was the originating feed. I am just glad the ban is over

Actually, it was much easier to sort them out, as all the “feed with problems” were the one directly with a Feedburner URL or were redirected. I created a new category, moved them there and in the process disabled updating.
Now that everything is back to normal (so far) I just unsubscribed some, and change update frequency to weekly or daily for most of them.

Next step would be to prepare a draft and send it to all the webmasters who still use Feedburner, so maybe they will stop redirecting

FeedBurner is one service I wish would just die. For the life of me I cannot understand why people use it. :man_shrugging:

Because - you know, web2.0, google analytics, and advertising money$$! :face_vomiting:

One obvious advantage is that the publisher saves bandwidth and server’s load, as the content is downloaded only by FeedBurner, who then serves it to all the n subscribers.
I believe Feedburner also offer some sort of statistics too.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I never found ads in feed, except for sponsored post by the publisher, but this would happen no matter who serves the feed.

I guess it depends on the author. Cf. FeedBurner - Wikipedia

Services provided to publishers include traffic analysis[2] and an optional advertising system. Though it initially was not clear whether advertising would be well-suited to the RSS format,[3] authors now choose to include advertising in two-thirds of FeedBurner’s feeds.[4] Users can find out how many people have subscribed to their feeds and with what service/program they subscribed.

Published feeds are modified in several ways, including automatic links to Digg and del.icio.us, and “splicing” information from multiple feeds.[5] FeedBurner is a typical Web 2.0 service, providing web service application programming interfaces (APIs) to allow other software to interact with it. As of October 5, 2007, FeedBurner hosted over a million feeds for 584,832 publishers, including 142,534 podcast and videocast feeds.[6]

whoa this takes me back