Android client: general / beta discussion

Didn’t you post a link to public.php to fetch an image w/ resize parameters? I am looking for it and can’t find your post. If not, could you post one for testing? Very nice feature, thx!

A thought, (re: files in my cache below), maybe the resize plugin could refuse to store minimal compression files and files that are larger? Reason being that they are not worth the time and space. Just a thought.

-rw-r--r-- 1 apache    apache   1378 Aug 13 12:04 19d0519baebf26fe4c923d4b349f2ee6728446a2
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache    apache   1202 Aug 13 12:04 19d0519baebf26fe4c923d4b349f2ee6728446a2-810
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache    apache      0 Aug 13 12:08 19d0519baebf26fe4c923d4b349f2ee6728446a2.flag
…
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache       67K Aug 13 14:06 ff0f9da767073f25d22d833f96d889893c2dffc
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache       69K Aug 13 14:06 ff0f9da767073f25d22d833f96d889893c2dffc-1440
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache         0 Aug 13 13:56 ff0f9da767073f25d22d833f96d889893c2dffc.flag

you can’t use the plugin like that, it’s not an open proxy for obvious reasons.

i suppose it could send the file of lowest size between the original or resized one. the check was there before, i can add it back.

refusing to store already resized file is largely pointless, i think, the work has been done, might as well save it. otherwise we’ll need to do it again.

also, -1440, what kind of device you’re using this on? tablet in landscape? maybe android client should request the size based on min(height,width).

Ok, I just was trying to force a hit on my test environment that isn’t accessible by phone or tablet. I think I got a url from my production access logs that works for me.

But would a .flag file keep it from regenerating the resized image? Either way the diskspace savings wouldn’t be that big; just a thought.

I use an android SG5, so the screen resolution is just … well I’m not sure. Whatever a non-tricked out standard SG5 is. (?) So yeah, a min on height/width would probably work great.

.flag works as a token to allow resize operation because there might not be a cookie when image is requested (by a webview or whatever), actual resized image shouldn’t be regenerated if it already exists.

e: maybe there should be a cap on resized images, something like 1024px looks right.

Some plugins are getting renamed - #2 related to resize plugin

New BETA: 1.273 (507)

this reworks app theme handling to use Theme.DayNight for faster theme switching and automatic night mode

Installed this morning, works, as far as I can see, same like before.
What do you mean with “automatic”? I’ve got Android 9 on a Samsung phone, there I can activate “Night Mode” which has impact on the theme of the system apps. Are you able to implement this too, or is this API not available for every app?

it should change day/night based on time. unfortunately it’s deprecated - for whatever reason - but it seems to work for me.

i think so. there’s an option to follow device theme. i’ll make a note to add this. my phone doesn’t have device night mode so testing this would be your duty. :slight_smile:

if apps like play store change to dark when you enable dark theme on your device then it’s likely to work. if not then it might only apply to built-in software.

my pleasure :wink:

yes, the play store follows this setting!

Its absolutely not needed, as I am currently just using always night mode of tt-rss, but would be nice to have this option.

same as device night mode should be supported in 1.275, no idea if it works though.

Can confirm with device works as intended

at least on my phone it looks like “same as device” and “auto by time” does an exact same thing.

anyone else? i’ll remove the deprecated variant then because it seems unnecessary.

e: it works like this on an emulator too. this wasn’t obvious from the documentation though, i think. i’ll remove the 4th option in 1.276.

“Same as device” works also for me as designed.

in unrelated news i finally bothered to enable pre-launch automated testing on google play. one of the very few google-related things that are unironically helpful and good.

Do shortcuts to specific categories not work anymore?

i have it disabled for newer android versions:

if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.O) {
            menu.findItem(R.id.create_shortcut).setVisible(false);
        }

this is the commit:

commit 527796ed9cdb63b715b0c8d833262fa5ea097b44
Author: Andrew Dolgov <[email protected]>
Date:   Fri Dec 21 17:06:58 2018 +0300

disable create shortcut context menu on oreo; not supported

and this is why: Mudanças de comportamento do Android 8.0  |  Desenvolvedores Android  |  Android Developers

looks like this got reworked by google (which is something they really like to do, my guess would be managers responsible for android trying to justify their miserable existence).

if someone wants to rewrite existing code to use this new shortcutmanager whatever, i’ll review the PR.

e: personally i seriously dislike this neverending cycle of rewriting stuff that works and enforcing newer target API levels (which always breaks things), which is why almost all my stuff is off various google storefronts. tt-rss is pretty much the only thing that’s left.

at least i managed to figure out how to self host chrome (and chromium-based microsoft edge) extensions. that particular store is basically ultracondensed cancer.

NEW BETA UP 1.280 (514)

• this reworks API requests to use okhttp3 instead of httpurlconnection
  • options to trust any SSL certificate have been removed

new beta 1.282 (516)

• add an option to force phone layout on tablet devices

new beta 1.296 (530)