Re-Install not possible

Hi,

I had a con loss to my database.
So I tried to reinstall TTRSS on my Synology NAS.

There was the problem, that I were stucked to enter the db password.

So I tried to delete the directory, but TTRSS will always be shown on the installed packages.

How do I get the turn-around to reinstall TTRSS?

Thanks in advance!

Olaf

Hi, please read this:
https://discourse.tt-rss.org/t/read-before-posting-reporting-bugs/120

for help ask the people which are providing this package for Synology.
There wont be any help here, you just get banned (with reason unfortunately).

Some Tips which might help if you got some idea of Linux:

• look if your database is still there (PhpMyadmin or does Synology also have Postgres?)
  • get a RaspberryPi, it’s much easier to administrate if you read some documentation.

Moved to Unsupported Platforms.

Summary: No clue what you understand as supported. Your answer doesn’t even point me into some direction. You know I would have been a bit less pissed off if you at least would have told us to have a look at the log file and also tell us were the log is and the name of it. Also tt-rss runs on a LAMP stack. So blaming it all on the L in LAMP that tt-rss doesn’t work anymore seems a bit unfair.

Extended version:
I have the same problem and just can’t believe the answer you gave. Not providing an answer which would be useful in fixing his error, but you started to lecture about forum stuff and try to pass the problem to someone else.

Unsupported… (please show me a list with what is actually supported and what not. Google couldn’t find anything on your site. The only strange thing I came across was a tag saying that tt-rss runs on 32bits Intel systems… and it’s a rather old product.

[] - It’s Linux (Synology DSM), no clue which distro but that is a general Linux problem.
[] - it’s Intel 64 bits architecture
[] - It’s a modern Linux distro (3.10 kernel) tuned towards storage bought by a large amount of customers.

What do you actually support? If the base OS and userland are comparable with other even more exotic Linux Distros what makes Synology so different that it’s marked as unsupported but still available for installing it on unsupported HW?

I’m confused, so someone took your source, made a working SPK dumped that on the syno package repo and then called it a day after it broke with the DSM6 update/?

Is that the normal procedure how OSS packages land in Synology repo. Dump a working revision, give a bit of support and if to many people use it and ask to many questions, just stop with maintaining the package?

BTW It’s also a mindset helping people. If I read the baikal mailing list or the tt-rss list, I always get the feeling that the users are stupid (because they dared to ask a question about a flawless product and the people throwing around answers do it in a Superior way making sure that the user will most defensively not ever ask or use anything from them ever again. Plus most of the time the proposed solution wasn’t even tested put just written down.

P.S. It’s GPL, so you can easily ask synology for the source and make it a supported tt-rss platform. I would help you, but I’m not a LAMP guy and I guess you and your team can solve this much faster because you’re the authors.

Thanks for listening! I don’t expect an answer, this is more a warning for other surprised users believing that they are running production graded software.

Summary: No clue what you understand as supported. Your answer doesn’t even point me into some direction. You know I would have been a bit less pissed off if you at least would have told us to have a look at the log file and also tell us were the log is and the name of it. Also tt-rss runs on a LAMP stack. So blaming it all on the L in LAMP that tt-rss doesn’t work anymore seems a bit unfair.

Extended version:
I have the same problem and just can’t believe the answer you gave. Not providing an answer which would be useful in fixing his error, but you started to lecture about forum stuff and try to pass the problem to someone else.

Unsupported… (please show me a list with what is actually supported and what not. Google couldn’t find anything on your site. The only strange thing I came across was a tag saying that tt-rss runs on 32bits Intel systems… and it’s a rather old product.

- It’s Linux (Synology DSM), no clue which distro but that is a general Linux problem.
- it’s Intel 64 bits architecture
- It’s a modern Linux distro (3.10 kernel) tuned towards storage bought by a large amount of customers.

What do you actually support? If the base OS and userland are comparable with other even more exotic Linux Distros what makes Synology so different that it’s marked as unsupported but still available for installing it on unsupported HW?

I’m confused, so someone took your source, made a working SPK dumped that on the syno package repo and then called it a day after it broke with the DSM6 update/?

Is that the normal procedure how OSS packages land in Synology repo. Dump a working revision, give a bit of support and if to many people use it and ask to many questions, just stop with maintaining the package?

BTW It’s also a mindset helping people. If I read the baikal mailing list or the tt-rss list, I always get the feeling that the users are stupid (because they dared to ask a question about a flawless product and the people throwing around answers do it in a Superior way making sure that the user will most defensively not ever ask or use anything from them ever again. Plus most of the time the proposed solution wasn’t even tested put just written down.

P.S. It’s GPL, so you can easily ask synology for the source and make it a supported tt-rss platform. I would help you, but I’m not a LAMP guy and I guess you and your team can solve this much faster because you’re the authors.

Thanks for listening! I don’t expect an answer, this is more a warning for other surprised users believing that they are running production graded software.

same

Seems like as good a time as any to refer to some posts from the old forum:

And the wiki (literally the first page when visiting tt-rss.org) as it lists the system requirements:

Requirements: Server-side

i like how he realizes that this is a third party package made by someone else but we still have to support it and his NAS because of reasons

First, I am not at all affiliated with TT-RSS, just a user like you.
Second, I was very short, maybe too short for users with no experience yes.
I hope I speak for the most of the people here: this here happens in our free time -> if you have to answer the same questions over and over again you get very pissed.

So in short and precise:

1. read the wiki and FAQs provided
  2. provide all necessary information (can’t be too much)
  3. Synology DSM is a Linux Distro, I even had one some while ago - got rid of it, the developers implemented too much magic for users which don’t only want to use official packages (which are btw also only supported by the Synology Developers)
  4. there are no!!! packages for any distribution for TT-RSS -> this forum is the last place to ask for help for packages
  5. yes maybe it’s normal procedure at this DSM package repo to let packages break, how should we know?! Would you go to your doctor to ask about problems of your bike/car?
  6. if you did not look into the logs before asking here - you asked for getting banned
  7. The mindset of communities should be to help, but you are the perfect example why this often does not work, provide facts, describe your problem, let others know how to reproduce and then you get help.
  8. If you don’t follow the rules you get either ignored or ridiculed.

I’m done, please consider sleeping over it before answering. I am ready to help if you’ve got a problem and I got some experience which might help you, but like this there is no point in helping you. (You are also allowed to ask why DSM is not the right platform and what packages are, if you ask in the right forum.)

btw: if you are running TT-RSS also on a Synology, please take my advice and get a proper machine where you got easy root access (RaspberryPi should be sufficient even if not supported?) it will save you lots of problems and you can easily migrate to a bigger machine if you need better performance.

Summary:
no hackery, no beta no symliking your filesystem . Normal install works on latest DSM server with clients macOS, win10pro(normal/insider), iOS on iPad, android +5 /MIUI on phone. All browser based and look good and Mariadb is faster than Postgres.

Bye

Rest of story

Think a bit of nuances should be put in place. Just a Mac user, for example had a big wooooosh

1st) Sane Install (without symlinks, losing data (in my case) and changing files you shouldn’t, is possible. Just read the errors in the nginix log file and you’ll progress.

2nd
I’m not flaming, but somehow TT-RSS has the most bizarre HCL/SWCL I’ve ever encountered. It’s not an attack, I love TT-RSS, fell into a big nothing after Reader was closed. , I spent countless hours finding some matrix of os’s kernels and https and php’s which would work together.I really hope I missed it. What I found is it should run on, It doesn’t run on.

I imagine thinks run fine when using apache2.4 on stock ubuntu, but Synology for example decided to do a stealth operation and switched core httpd for nginix glued some custom scripts to migrate from apache to nginix and done. After the update every https ssl request throw bizarre errors… the custom scripts moved the private apache key and gave it to nginix for example, I found out because my supported caldav/carddav service wouldn’t work on any client anymore.

Sorry for babbling. My point is unsupported if if we talk about Plan9OS, C128, self made PHP interpreters, home made web servers. Access97 as a DB backend. OK unsupported.

If you want to put Synology conduits of business conducts (never got an answer to why they switched btw) than I can understand your reasoning. But it’s Synology and its LAMP stack is very configurable, 3+ different back-end http(s) from two vendors and different php versions and php version manager. So there are combinations that work, are supported, but not my one because a “synology” sticker is on that box.

But I put more time in writing to this list then getting it working, secure, with autoupdates, no beta tt-rss or beta-Synology. I’ve changed one php path in your php config file, re-created the db, imported my opml and my perfect Googles Reader alternative is back in business. Thanks!

And I promise I won’t make a package seeing how that worked out for the other guy.

Thanks for listening.

P.S. A Raspberry for TT-RSS is a prober (supported ?) machine and better than my cabinet in RAID-6 filled with WD RED disks. Is it a thin client which you’re at least PXEíng from some sort of storage pool? The raspberry can run my external bind server and act as my internal print server and platformio. I actually power the, in your opinion proper server, using a spare usb port on my synology nas :wink:

i for one appreciate your enthusiastic, if misdirected, ranting

Are there actually people on this list who had this supported/unsupported part successfully sold to a government institution? Multiple instances SLA’s, moaning users if it breaks? Wouldn’t that change my “if misdirected, ranting” into something more serious? Like food, shelter clothing and housing?

Once again questions and curious about answers.

are you a government, and if so what exactly is being sold to you here

I don’t even know what that means.

Honestly, much of your post reads like a copy/paste from Google Translate. It’s fine if English isn’t your first language, I’m just having a hard time understanding what you’re trying to communicate.

It’s on the page to which I linked:

For what it’s worth, I’m running it on Debian 8 with Nginx.

This I don’t believe. If you’re comparing an install that’s been running for years on PostgreSQL to a clean install with MariaDB, then yeah… obviously. But everything being equal PostgreSQL will perform better. There are queries in TT-RSS that literally cause MySQL to hit every row in the table because the optimizer cannot effectively handle sub-queries. If you’re running a small install or something new with little data in the database then you won’t notice much difference because everything is going to be in RAM anyways, but once memory constraints force MySQL to hit the disk it’s a different story.

This honestly sounds like the issue ls less with TT-RSS and more with Synology–especially since you said, “my supported caldav/carddav service wouldn’t work on any client anymore”. This sort of just reinforces the point why NAS appliance boxes are not supported.

It has nothing to do with a sticker and everything to do with a vendor-built machine that may not support end-user installation of packages (for the LAMP stack) or custom applications (TT-RSS). Appliance boxes are also generally under-powered with ARM processors that struggle when handling a PHP script that’s processing hundreds or thousands of feeds.

No one said that. In fact, what was written was (emphasis mine):

The point conrad784 was making is that at least you’d be able to properly manage the elements of the server (e.g. individual packages such as Apache or Nginx, PHP, etc.; as well as running an install by Git pull-ing the repository).

So you spent hours writing your post? Like I said:

i can’t believe you are seriously replying to him lol

I’m sucker for punishment, I guess…

:pensive:

thats the exact thing why this is a unsupported platform, no one knows what they do internally, you have to look yourself and solve this problem by yourself because we can’t reproduce your problems → your are on your own like we told you

they build their system to provide their promised services, not more → no support from them and no support here!

what JustAMacUser said:

BTW: bigger is not always better

Freelance, goverment wants private cloud. Have lot’s of editors writing articles. tt-rss is / was my choice.

Thanks we had great day at the office.

All started quite simple and could have ended a long time ago if I could just get hold of this mythical list of supported platforms, OS’s PHP’versions, etc, etc. maybe even add some deployment scenarios and if the noise level would have been lower.

My manager in particular put tt-rss on hold because of those kinda answers https://tt-rss.org/oldforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1747&start=15#p10485, guess nothing has changed. Users are still stupid users.

It’s the government, write down what you need and they will order it and also blame me if it doesn’t work.

That would have been the end of the story plus you guys can put it on your site, government is running 350k users per tt-rss instance/platform/service?

We could even dockerize it, one for the DB, one for TT-rss and just a spare one for the sake of it, cold standby. But than we get the same problem, is Docker supported, yes?? Docker supported on any linux / bsd based system yes, but support ends if you dare to use your box also as a nas.

The rest is just a rant based on answers users got in the past 4 years and that answering questions will lead to an non-technical unsupported flame or you just won’t receive an answer. Who cares why and which government. Be proud that they thought about tt-rss.

• I went the docker vmware route and had both working, but management after reading this list and they even went back to 2014, decided that the environment is to vague, hostile and in constant defending mode. Collaboration is highly doubtful, translated to another sharepoint license.

Some personal stuff because of lack of technical answers:

• My favourite one is “Nas not supported”, which makes me wonder what makes my Synology a NAS and not a Linux server (it’s a SaaS maybe even a PaaS) with some attached storage.

• love the claim that Postgres is faster. Written down all over the net in relation to tt-rss but without any proof, numbers, figures. Just a statement from a developer (but funny enough I agree and psql was my first and is preferred DB, not for performance but for data consistency and integrity (like auto shorting of strings that are to long). Performance wise, just add another raspberry pi as mysql server to your master-master setup. But, this is not a DB forum.

• Love that you guys think that every linux distro is the same… useradd or adduser, deluser or rmuser, remember the (g)libc gcc egcc disaster? 2.3 to 2.4 kernel switch? DSM is more consistent than any linux distort. Have a look at Slackware, Debian, RH, Fedora, Debian Gentoo, any similarities? Same kernel, no, same modules no, same user land, no. I skipped Linux éxpert’from my CV 10 years ago because the 3 different BSD’s are more consistent in general than Linux. Does it even exist anymore? Or has every vendor his own patch set?

• The killer which made our day was use raspberry pi (which one, how)? And in your faq under performance problems you write use ,more hardware another pi with anther melting sd card?.

Still not attacking you, but I’ve spit through 4 years off your mailing list and decided that you guys are way to aggressive in expressing your voice, you send more questions back than answers (not counting the unsupported part) and I don’t have a FB account but I imagine it must be something like this.

Thanks for listening, I’ll leave your party and have another look.

Every post only leaves me with more questions…

I usually just lurk, but this thread?

WTF?